Deadly Bathrobe Results in Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Certain comforts are nice to have in every day life. By comforts, I am referring to those little things in life that we use for comfort or enjoyment like that one particular nap pillow or that special coffee mug.
These comforts are reliable and loyal, almost like a well-behaved and docile dog. Recently, a story came out about an elderly couple who were burned to death because of one of their comforts, a bath robe. Hearing this story made me feel almost like when that docile dog suddenly turns on its owner.
Tea, Bathrobe, and Fire
This story was covered by the Union Tribune in San Diego by Jeanette Steele. The accident happened one morning as Evelyn Rogoff was making a cup of green tea. At the time she was wearing a chenille bathrobe. Somehow, the robe ignited and burst into flames when husband, Murray, came to help her.
The flames severely burned both of them. In the months to follow, both Rogoffs died as a result of the injuries obtained from the defective bathrobe.
Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Since the accident, their daughters have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the makers of the bathrobe, Blair Corporation. The reasoning underlying this claim is that the maker of this product should have known about these abnormal defects and if they did so, they failed to make consumers aware of it.
The Rogoff’s tragic death apparently is not an isolated event. Steele reported that there have been nine deaths reported so far in the U.S. attributable to the chenille bathrobe.
It saddens us to hear of such a tragic accident. We are sorry for the loss of the Rogoff’s family members, especially to their daughters and wish them luck in the upcoming trial.