NuVasive MAGEC rods are used to treat early-onset scoliosis in children. However, serious complications have been reported with the use of these rods. You may be entitled to financial compensation if you or a loved one suffered complications after the implantation of NuVasive MAGEC rods.
Treatment of early-onset scoliosis has traditionally involved multiple surgeries to lengthen rods as children grow. NuVasive MAGEC rods are magnetic and are supposed to lengthen externally using a magnetic remote control without the need for revision surgery. Unfortunately, due to the defects with the device, revision surgeries can be required to alleviate complications from the defective rods.
The defective medical device lawyers of Nadrich & Cohen are investigating NuVasive Magec Rod Failure claims. If you or a loved one developed complications after rod implantation, immediately contact us for a free, confidential consultation by calling 1-800-718-4658, using the live chat feature, or completing the form on this page.
MAGEC Rod Complications
Metallosis has been reported as a complication resulting from the use of NuVasive MAGEC rods. Metallosis occurs when metal debris accumulates in the soft tissues of the human body, and can cause a wide variety of serious side effects. This metal toxicity can cause serious and debilitating symptoms.
Cobalt poisoning, in particular, can cause skin rashes, diseases of the heart, hearing problems, problems with eyesight or cognition, hypothyroidism and tremors.
Symptoms Of Metallosis
Even though the purpose of the NuVasive MAGEC magnetic lengthening rods is to reduce the need for revision surgeries, Revision surgeries are often required, if the device fails, fractures or the patient develops metallosis.
Contact the NuVasive Magec Lawyers of Nadrich & Cohen today, if you or a loved one have required a revision procedure, or experienced complications following implantation of the NuVasive Magec Rods and System. We provide a free and confidential consultation. Call us today at 800-718-4658 to see if you have a claim.
NuVasive MAGEC Studies
The side effects and complications related to NuVasive MAGEC rods have been well- documented by several studies:
- A 2016 study documented eight children, who had NuVasive MAGEC rods implanted in them, for 44 months. Six of the eight children in the study required revision surgeries, despite claims that the rods reduce the need for revision surgeries. Two of the children suffered total device fractures, and a third child’s device failed due to a malfunctioning component. Another child’s rod failed to lengthen.
- Two patients in another 2016 study experienced rod failure, where the rod failed to lengthen as intended. Another patient in this study suffered a rod fracture;
- A 2017 study involved three rods with a fractured pin. Researchers determined that the pin fractures were caused by corrosion, and theorized that MAGEC rods which fail to lengthen may fail to lengthen because corrosive debris builds up inside the rods, clogging them and prevents them from lengthening;
- Another 2017 study noted that recent implant failure reports “may be associated with significant metallosis surrounding the implants.”
- A 2018 study analyzed 34 MAGEC rods which were explanted from children and found titanium wear debris inside all of them. 91% of the rods showed measurable wear to the extending bar toward the magnet end. About 75% of the rods had substantial damage to the radial bearing, about 50% of the rods suffered O-ring failure and 44% of the rods had a fractured drive pin.
NuVasive MAGEC Lawsuit Attorneys
Your NuVasive MAGEC claim is in the best possible hands with Nadrich & Cohen and its legal teams. Our attorneys are strong, battle-tested lawyers with over 70 years of combined legal experience. Our NuVasive MAGEC Lawsuit Attorneys will fight to obtain the best possible recovery for you. Our lawyers have recovered over $350,000,000 on behalf of clients.
We are the experts in defective medical device cases. Nadrich & Cohen and its legal teams have successfully represented thousands of defective medical device victims over the last 30 years. We pride ourselves on obtaining exceptional results for clients, and for providing responsive and personalized customer service.
Request A Free Consultation Now
You may be eligible for financial compensation in a lawsuit if you or a loved one suffered complications from a NuVasive MAGEC implantation, so call 1-800-718-4658 today for a free and confidential consultation or complete the free and confidential “Do I Have A Case?” form on this page.