New Hampshire Man Convicted For Selling Fatal Fentanyl Patch
Manchester, New Hampsire native Montgomery Proulx was sentenced to serve 10 years to life for selling a Fentanyl pain patch to eighteen year-old Evan Schwager. The Bedford section of NewHampshire.com reported on the story.
Arrest for Selling Illegal Pain Patch
Twenty year-old Proulx was sentenced by Judge James O’Neil after selling the illegal pain patch to Schwager. Schwager died as a result of an overdose of the potent narcotic Fentanyl contained in the patch.
Investigation of the case revealed that Proulx sold the patch to Schwager at an underage drinking party in Bedford on the evening of May 9, 2008. He was arrested a few months later after evidence surrounding the death led police to Proulx.
Dangers Of Fentanyl Pain Patches
The foremost danger associated with Fentanyl is that it is, quite simply, incredibly potent. The narcotic itself is approximately 100 times more powerful than morphine, and is commonly used to treat chronic breakthrough pain and as a pre-procedure pain medication in the medical field.
Because Fentanyl is so powerful, overdoses are incredibly easy, especially in minors and when used in uncontrolled settings such as the one mentioned above – being sold/used in the patch form by an individual outside of a medical facility. Due to its potency, it is obvious why the drug is illegal for handling and distribution on a personal level.
The margin for error is so small that, in most cases, there is not even time to contact EMS after a person has absorbed a lethal dosage of Fentanyl through a pain patch. The body simply shuts down too quickly.