California Law Aims To Reduce Number Of Pet Deaths
It’s Summertime and many parts of California are beginning to experience the season’s first heat wave. The personal injury attorneys of Nadrich & Cohen, LLP would like to take this opportunity to remind pet owners to never leave an animal in a hot car.
Dangers Of Leaving An Animal In A Hot Car
Each year, hundreds of dogs needlessly die of heat exhaustion in parked cars. The temperature of a car’s interior can be much warmer than the outside temperature. It only takes a few minutes for a dog or animal to die from heat exhaustion in a hot car.
Heat stroke can occur when the dog’s body temperature exceeds 104 degrees. The interior temperature of a car can reach 104 degrees in as little as 10 minutes – even when the windows are cracked. Below are some time illustrations for how quickly the interior of a vehicle can reach a dangerous temperature for dogs and pets left inside.
- 70 degrees outside, reaches 104 degrees in 30 minutes.
- 80 degrees outside, reaches 110 degrees in 20 minutes.
- 90 degrees outside, reaches 129 degrees in 30 minutes.
New California Law Allows Citizens To Rescue Animals Left In Hot Car
A new California law, Assembly Bill 797, called the “Right to Rescue Act” went into effect on January 1, 2017. The law aims to empower passersby to take action if they see an animal that has been left in a hot car. The law details the procedures which must be followed by a good samaritan who attempts to rescue an animal from a hot car.
How Can I Lawfully Rescue An Animal Under The Right to Rescue Act?
Before you can break into a vehicle to rescue an animal, you must first follow the below steps.
- You must first contact the authorities by calling 911 or the local animal control.
- You must believe that the animal is in imminent danger.
- You must have tried opening the car door in other.
- After You Rescue The Animal, you cannot take off with the animal. Take the animal to a cool place and wait with the animal until emergency responders arrive.
As long as you follow the above procedures, you will not face criminal or civil liability for your actions.