Sofa Burns Lead To Legal Action Against Furniture Retailers
The Yorkshire Evening Post reported that approximately 5,000 citizens across the UK are seeking compensation from retailers The Argos Group, Walmsley Furniture, and Land of Leather after a number of tests revealed that various pieces of leather furniture had been accidentally contaminated with an anti-mold chemical dimethyl fumarate, causing painful burns and welts to those whose skin came in contact with it.
Sixty-year-old Linda Moran’s story provided a graphic account of the pain sustained by contact with the chemical. Over several months, her skin became covered in itchy welts and burns from her sofa and armchair.
The Pain of Chemical Burns
“I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t sit and couldn’t wear clothes. The only comfort I could find was from lots of cold showers and baths.”
While the water provided temporary relief from the pain of her burns, it actually did more harm than good.
“My skin became so dehydrated from all the water that it started to peel.” After months of puzzling doctors, Moran’s dermatologist figured out the problem after hearing about other people with unexplainable injuries from their new leather furniture.
Further Investigation And Litigation For Injuries
A number of individual cases have successfully awarded their victims compensation for their injuries. Approximately 2,000 more are being fought currently on the matter.
Still more individuals are participating in a group suit which was recently brought before the High Court in London to determine responsibility for the aforementioned furniture dealers.
The leading lawyer of the group lawsuit, Richard Langton, reported that in addition to some leather furniture produced by those companies, batches of pieces by Chinese companies Linkwise and Eurosofa have also tested positive for dangerous substances that can cause burns and other complications to skin.
“Out of the 18 pieces of furniture we tested, 75% of them contain some sort of chemical known to be harmful to humans.”