Young Burn Victim Recovering Well In North Carolina
SWVA Today, a media service of Southwest Virginia newspapers, reported on the impressive story of three-year-old Daniel’s accident and recovery from a burn injury a few weeks ago.
Daniel, his older brothers Damien, 15, and Cody, 16, and their babysitter were gathered around a small fire pit at their home roasting marshmallows one evening. Apparently, Daniel threw something in the fire which, according to his mother Shena Poff, “came back on his clothes,” because “he was standing too close.”
Marshmallows and Burn Injuries
The spark ignited the boy’s clothes. Thankfully, his older brothers took action immediately, scooping up the burning child and carrying him to a hose to douse the flames. They also had the presence of mind to keep the child’s face covered to minimize his smoke inhalation – the leading cause of death in burn accidents.
Daniel, who had suffered severe burns on thirty percent of his body, was airlifted to the burn center at Winston-Salem, while he brothers, who had suffered second and third degree burns on their upper bodies and arms from handling the young burn victim, were taken to Roanoke Memorial. The article did not mention if any charges were to be filed in the case due to negligence.
A Child’s Road To Recovery
Burns, especially those as severe and extensive as the ones sustained by young Daniel, can necessitate a long and arduous recovery time. After being transferred to the Brenner Children’s Hospital at Wake Forest Baptist Hospital, Daniel got skin grafts and began undergoing therapy to start moving normally again.
An active young boy, Daniel tires of lying in the hospital bed most of the day, but undergoes his exercises and activities without complaining and is progressing very well. “We take it a day at a time,” Daniel’s mother commented. “People are trying to do everything they can to help.”